Thursday, March 25, 2010
Last night I attended George Brown College for their Marriage of Food and Wine, a fundraiser put on by the graduating students of the Culinary Arts Program in support of the College's new Hospitality/Culinary Arts Facility.
As a boutique patisserie, we participate in many Charity Food Events to support causes that are important to us. It is a great way to give back, and to showcase our wares to like minded people.
The Marriage of Food and Wine was a real success. I was very impressed with the variety of food, the quality of the service and the number of guests that attended. If they are the future of the industry, I am very optimistic!
Toronto boasts many "foodie" charity events throughout the year and I am compelled to make a list of the top 10 reasons to attend. (I added a link to some of my favourites, to help you indulge your inner philanthropic gourmand!)
10. Meet famous Chef's and talk about their recipes, and your favourites!
9. Taste food from restaurants you may not regularly dine at.
8. Experience the food of a different culture, from a variety of restaurants, at one venue.
7. Wear that great outfit you bought, and weren't sure why.
6. See and be seen in the T.O. Food Scene, you may get mistaken for a food reviewer and get invited to restaurant openings etc.
5. Learn more about an Important Cause while ingesting local wines and spirits.
4. Discover that you CAN make a difference, even in just one night.
3. Spend quality time with a friend, sharing a new experience.
2. YOU WERE GOING TO SPEND MONEY ON FOOD/DRINKS/A NIGHT OUT ANYWAY, WHY NOT GIVE TO A CHARITY AT THE SAME TIME...
1. FEEL REALLY GOOD KNOWING THAT WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY WHERE WE CAN HELP OTHERS IN NEED, WHILE HELPING OURSELVES EXPAND OUR CULINARY PALATE!
Here are the links to some great Events. Add your favourites in the comment box!
Eat to the Beat supporting Willow Breast Cancer Support Centre http://www.eattothebeat.ca/
Support the Assaulted Women's Hot line
Lifford Wine Agency Cancer Fundraiser
Lifford Grand Tasting Delisle Youth Services Fundraiser http://www.liffordwine.com/special_events/index.php?id=16